After working 20 years in the New York City region, I’ve identified 7 personality traits of a good technical writer. They:
- Write and edit well
- Learn quickly and holistically
- Speak well and often (but not too often)
- Enjoy learning about technology
- Perform independent research
- Operate well in a support role (not the center of attention) and
- Take pride in refining their craft.
Many people are shocked to hear that getting started as a technical writer does NOT require technical knowledge. Sounds like a contradiction, right? There’s a very good reason for the confusion.