FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT IS TECHNICAL WRITING?
Have you bought a new gadget and read the quick start guide before you using it? That’s an example of technical writing.
Technical writers simplify technical information for various audiences:
– general public
– industry professionals
– software developers
Examples of technical writing include:
– how-to guides
– online help
– policies and procedures
WHAT SKILLS ARE REQUIRED TO SUCCEED AS A TECHNICAL WRITER?
Technical writers demonstrate an attention to detail, the ability to work well with others, and an interest in technology. You should be open to learning new skills and have the capacity to make mistakes without judging yourself harshly.
ARE THERE ANY OTHER RESOURCES OR TOOLS AVAILABLE FOR ASPIRING TECHNICAL WRITERS?
Blogs I’d Rather Be Writing and Write the Docs provide information on best practices and career building. The Write the Docs Slack channel has several subchannels, such as city and job postings. Also follow two active forums: Reddit and “Write the Docs.” You can find the subreddit at https://www.reddit.com
The Society for Technical Communication offers classes, and their YouTube channel includes webinars on how to start your career.
WHY IS TECHNICAL WRITING A GOOD CAREER CHOICE?
If you enjoy writing and have an interest in technology, this is a great career choice. Opportunities abound in diverse industries, from public service to software. Technical writing positions are typically well-compensated and less stressful than many professions.
WHAT JOBS HAVE GRADUATES LANDED AFTER JUMP SCHOOL?
Graduates have landed a variety of technical writing roles, including salaried, contract, and freelance jobs. Jump School alumni currently work in the software, higher ed, and pharmaceutical industries, among others. Check out what our members have to say about the course.
WILL I GET A JOB IF I TAKE YOUR COURSE?
While we cannot guarantee a job, for SEMINAR, we guarantee an interview within 2 months of completing the course (for more details, see the FAQ “DO YOU OFFER GUARANTEES”). We believe this course offers you a better shot at a position than any other online course. It’s why we call it “Become a Technical Writer.”
If you can move for a job, even better. Employment is best in major metro areas. We have a “Forever Thursday” evening meeting every Thursday to support members (even months or years after they graduate).
WHO IS THIS COURSE DESIGNED FOR?
This course is for adults who want practical training to become job-ready technical writers. Technical knowledge and previous professional writing experience are not required for this course.
CAN I PREVIEW SOME OF THE COURSE CONTENT BEFORE ENROLLING?
ARE THERE ANY PREREQUISITES FOR THESE COURSES?
Strictly, no. But you should:
– be fluent in English and have basic writing skills.
– be able to have fun while learning new tools. It’s fun to play around before getting serious.
– be able to make goofy, even silly mistakes without judging yourself harshly. This is an essential attitude for learning new skills.
– know what technical writing is about.
IS THERE ANY TECHNICAL EQUIPMENT OR SOFTWARE REQUIRED TO TAKE THIS COURSE?
You’ll need a Windows or MAC computer.
A Microsoft Office (or at least Microsoft Word) subscription. This course tells you how to get free trials for additional software such as Confluence, Salesforce, and SnagIt.
HOW DO I ENROLL IN THE COURSE?
IS THIS SELF-PACED OR TAUGHT BY AN INSTRUCTOR?
FLEX is entirely self-paced. SEMINAR is guided with weekly class(es).
– You dictate your pace. If you can finish a module a week, great.
– Your instructor checks everything you complete, from exercises and documents to your finished portfolio.
HOW IS THE COURSE STRUCTURED, AND WHAT TOPICS ARE COVERED?
View a course syllabus on the Courses webpage. Jump School members complete self-paced lessons and produce technical documents. Jump School SEMINAR members also attend a live class each week with the instructor.
Course topics include the following:
– the documents tech writers produce, from knowledge base articles to user guides
– training on the tools technical writers use the most
– effective job search and interview skills to land the job of your dreams
You also receive personalized feedback on your course assignments and one-on-one mentoring sessions.
DO MEMBERS GET EXPERIENCE WITH TECHNICAL WRITING TOOLS?
Yes! We learn a “gold standard” for technical writers (Snagit).
We also leverage Confluence, Salesforce, Microsoft’s Word, and Canva. (All applications are free to use or free to try.)
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO COMPLETE THE COURSE?
You should plan on spending as little as 2 but as many as 5 hours per week.
The Jump School Seminar course lasts 8 weeks, and the Job Seekers Support Group lasts 4 weeks. Jump School FLEX is self-paced, running approximately 20 to 40 hours total. Following the courses, you may join in Forever Thursdays, a weekly evening group coaching call.
DOES THIS COURSE INCLUDE BUILDING A PORTFOLIO?
Yes! Members produce typical materials written by tech writers, including knowledge base articles, user guides, and FAQs. Your portfolio will shine before you know it!
CAN I CONTACT OTHER MEMBERS OR INSTRUCTORS DURING THE COURSE?
Yes, interaction with the instructor and other members is a key feature of the course. In addition to connecting during live sessions, you can engage in peer mentoring and networking. All members also access the Heartbeat platform, BTW’s online community hub.
WHAT KIND OF SUPPORT IS AVAILABLE IF I HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH THE COURSE?
You can reach Bobby by:
– submitting comments in the course lessons
– posting in the Heartbeat community platform
– messaging him directly through the course platform
– sending an email to bobby AT becometechnicalwriter.com
WHEN CAN I SIGN UP AND GET STARTED ON A COURSE?
New courses start monthly.
After the kickoff, lessons proceed in a “drip” manner. When you’ve finished a lesson, just click to advance to the next.
WILL I HAVE LIFETIME ACCESS TO THE COURSE MATERIALS?
Yes, members have lifetime access to the course materials and the Heartbeat community. Members have weekly calls to
– seek advice
– share updates
– learn about specialized topics
– continue their professional development
WHAT IF I CANNOT MAKE THE SCHEDULED OFFICE HOURS? WILL RECORDINGS BE AVAILABLE?
If you are unable to make a scheduled class, please contact Bobby at bobby AT becometechnicalwriter.com to find a mutually convenient time. Transcriptions of select live sessions can be made with advance notice.
WILL I RECEIVE A CERTIFICATE UPON COMPLETION OF THE COURSE?
Yes, members receive a certificate of completion after completing the requirements below:
– complete all exercises
– complete at least 3 documents
– class attendance is recommended but not mandatory
WHAT IS THE PRICE OF THE COURSE?
The price for Jump School 10-Week Seminar course is $1,598. There is also a payment plan of three installments of $598.
The price for Jump School FLEX is $979, or three installments of $349.
DO YOU OFFER GUARANTEES?
We offer two guarantees:
– 14-day unconditional satisfaction guarantee (just send Bobby an email).
– (SEMINAR) Get an interview (for full-time or contracting employment) within 2 months of completing the course (including 3 portfolio pieces and a resume review) or Bobby will work with you weekly until you get that interview.If Bobby can’t help you get that interview, then you get a full refund.
Need more details? Just send me an email at bobby AT becometechnicalwriter.com
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN THE COURSE FEE?
Each course includes:
– Lifetime access to the course platform (self-paced course materials with exercises, document creation, and portfolio building)
– Lifetime access to Heartbeat (members-only messaging app)
– Multiple 30-minute face-to-face meetings with your instructor
– Direct, responsive feedback from your instructor
– Course certificate of proficiency upon successful completion
– Also: lifetime access to our weekly “Forever Thursday” (evening) meeting
Assuming you do the work and it’s done satisfactorily, you’ll get a course certificate. There’s no “failing” this course in the traditional sense of the word. There are no limits on how often you can try to get the work done well.
WHAT FORMS OF PAYMENT DO YOU ACCEPT?
We accept all major debit or credit cards.
DO YOU OFFER PAYMENT PLANS?
Yes! You can pay in installments.
WHY CHOOSE THESE COURSES?
This is a different breed of online courses. They focus on exercising knowledge—doing exercises, creating documents, and building a portfolio. These courses are “lean” and offer practical training rather than abstract knowledge.
Other course instructors offer a fraction of the accessibility our instructor offers. You get face-to-face meetings and (in SEMINAR) weekly classes where you can ask questions about the course or technical writing.
And weekly meetings on Thursday evenings, forever!
These courses offer:
– A lesson plan designed by an expert with end clients such as Verizon Wireless, PwC, and Dow Jones
– A great foundation in technical writing with no filler
– Lifetime access to the course platform
– Responsive and constructive feedback from your instructor on exercises, documents, and your portfolio
– The essential confidence you need to succeed as a technical writer today—not ten or twenty years ago!